Aken / Duitsland
Aken on the Elbe is located 13 kilometres westerly of Dessau. In 1889, Franz Weißenborn, the director of the Harbour and Lagerhaus AG,Franz Weißenborn from Wimar signed a contract with the magistrate of the city of Aken, to have the right of use of an area for the building of a harbour. The construction of a traffic port was of an enormous, economical significance for the city. The economical upturn was increased through the building of the railway junction Aken - Köthen in 1890. Nowadays, in the harbour of Aken, bulk freight as well as heavy cargo and containers are loaded and unloaded. In connection with the navigation, the harbour of Aken became a capable inner harbour and centre for logistics.