Adelaide eiland / Antarctica
The 120 km long and 30 km wide Adelaide Island lies off the west coast of the Antarctic Peninsula, on the northern edge of Marguerite Bay. It was discovered in 1832 by the British naval officer and Arctic explorer John Biscoe. Explored in more detail and (by Jean-Baptiste Charcot) Adelaide Island was mapped out only in the context of the French Antarctic Expedition that took place between 1908 to 1910. The now well-known British Rothera research station was built in the years 1976-77. In 2001 the laboratory burned off completely after a short circuit and was newly reconstructted until 2003.